Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A Brief History of the Dead

This book was a bit bizarre, but thought-provoking. I actually listened to this on CD a few years ago, but decided it was worth putting on my blog. The whole premise of the book is based on some African theology that when you die, you go to a sort of pre-afterlife, where you remain until everyone who remembers you on Earth has died. The author, Kevin Brockmeier, tells this story from two points of view, the people in The City, as they call it, and a woman in Antarctica. Something is obviously going on, since people in The City keep disappearing in the thousands and the woman in Antarctica can't get a hold of her fellow explorers or the outside world. The ending left me, well, puzzled and a bit dissatisfied, but you might like it better. The whole concept was interesting and it was suspenseful to realize what was going on, but have to watch the characters figure it out. I wasn't going to add books on this blog that I hadn't read recently, but decided this might get some people to read it and then tell me what they thought of it.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Jenny, you are a readin machine! And a very interesting young lady. This does sound like and interesting book.... I will have to see if I can get a copy. Might be good to read on de plane.

    ReplyDelete