Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Bonesetter's Daughter

I've never read any Amy Tam books before, I had only heard of her book, "The Joy Luck Club." I knew they made it into a movie and that was the end of my knowledge. I read about her in another book, "Honey for a Woman's Heart" which was by Gladys Hunt, the author of "Honey for a Child's Heart" which I blogged about before. Since I'm always on the hunt for new authors, I gave this one a try. So fascinating! It's about a woman's complex relationship with her mother, who immigrated to California from China in the 60s. The mother had a very interesting life in China and her daughter knew virtually nothing about it. That is, until she finds a stack of papers onto which her her mother had written her life story when she realized her memory was failing due to Alzheimers. Chinese culture is so out of my frame of reference that this book was educational for me, even if it wasn't meant to be. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment